Jan Miksovsky’s BlogArchive2013 AboutContact

Quetzal, take 2: creating general-purpose UI components as Polymer elements

Just an update to the experimental Quetzal project I posted about last month. I’ve learned quite a bit, and have changed course on two significant points, and thought I’d share a bit about my experiences with others who might be contemplating the creation of a framework or UI component library on top of web components.

A limitation of the current web component architecture

So far, the greatest challenge in replicating the range of expression in QuickUI’s UI components has been the inability to easily define HTML custom element subclasses that can fill in base class insertion points. To their credit, Google’s Blink (rendering engine) and Polymer (web component framework) teams have been responsive on that point. In response to a Polymer discussion board thread related to that post, a bug has been filed to allow one to distribute content nodes into a <shadow> insertion point. Unless you’re already experimenting with Shadow DOM, this entire issue undoubtedly seems quite arcane, but rest assured, fixing this one problem would open up a lot of important new territory. I’m sincerely hoping this proposal is adopted. In the meantime, I’ve been using a workaround to simulate the effects of that proposal. That unfortunately broke in a recent Polymer update, but such setbacks are to be expected when building on shifting sand.

Trying Polymer elements

I’ve spent some time experimenting with Polymer’s own element layer, and last month decided to try adopting it. My first cut at creating custom elements for Quetzal was based directly on Polymer’s lower levels, which take care of polyfilling (emulating) various web component standards. I’m now trying to use the higher-level Polymer elements layer, which provides a richer framework for creating custom elements, and adds a number of features to simplify common component tasks. These features are not part of any web component standard, but by virtue of being done by Google, will nevertheless probably become a common feature of the web component landscape. There are still a number of QuickUI features that have no parallel in standard web components or Polymer elements, but most of those missing features appear to be things which I could implement on top of Polymer elements. For example, a <quetzal-element> base class could provide those missing features, making it easy for new element classes to obtain them. Aside from the critical limitation mentioned above, it now appears to me that most (hopefully, all) of QuickUI could likely be implemented as Polymer elements. With that change, the latest Quetzal iteration recreates a handful of QuickUI Catalog elements as Polymer elements. So far, this approach feels acceptable, and it would obviously be a big advantage to leave most of the heavy lifting to the Polymer team, and focus on actually creating new custom elements. Some notes on switching to Polymer elements:

Going back to plain JavaScript

Switching the top-level component container to HTML instead of script has also prompted me to give up CoffeeScript, at least for now. I actually tried using a combination of CoffeeScript and HTML, but it felt like I was working against the grain, and I ended up giving up on that approach. Going from CoffeeScript back to plain JavaScript is an excruciating experience. Oliver Wendell Holmes said, “Man’s mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.” I think the programming language analogue here is: once your brain has been expanded by a language that lets you more clearly express your intensions, trying to cram your brain back into the tiny box of a less expressive language is unbelievably painful. Every single time I have to write a JavaScript loop instead of a CoffeeScript list comprehension, or type “function() {}.bind(this)” instead of just “=>”, I physically wince a bit. JavaScript just feels gross, it looks gross, it is gross. That said, JavaScript is the standard. One thing I’ve learned from QuickUI is that if you’re trying to build a community around a common library, creating that library in a programming language with a narrow audience dramatically limits the rate at which you can grow. One commenter named “jokester” offered on my original Quetzal post: “I’ll unfortunately not contribute to a project coded in CoffeeScript.” Regardless of the advantages I believe CoffeeScript offers to developers, I’d rather allow orders of magnitude more people to contribute in the standard JavaScript language they’re already proficient in. Anyway, that’s about the state of things. This Quetzal project is still just an experiment, and doesn’t do much useful yet, but it’s proving a good way to learn.